Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Blog Post 2#



I didn’t expect a 20‑minute video on the U.S. Supreme Court to leave me thinking about footprints, but that’s exactly what happened. I knew the Court interpreted the Constitution, sure, but I had no idea there have been just over a hundred justices in its entire history. Somehow that number felt both huge and tiny at the same time.


What really surprised me was learning that new justices show up only about every sixteen years. That’s wild. It means the Court changes slowly, almost like it’s built to resist quick swings in the political weather.


There was a moment in the video where the camera lingered behind Chief Justice John Marshall’s statue, and there’s a quote carved into the wall behind him. I couldn’t help thinking about how many


major cases have passed under that quote. One of the biggest was the Dred Scott case, which helped push the country toward the Civil War and declared enslaved people couldn’t be citizens. It’s strange to think about the Court facing something that heavy.


The Court gets around 7,000 cases a year, but only about a hundred are accepted. I didn’t realize the justices actually meet to discuss whether a petition deserves their attention. It feels almost like a gatekeeping ritual, deciding which issues rise high enough to shape the country.


And then there’s this detail I loved: the nine justices shake hands before sitting down. I think that small gesture says a lot. Even with all the disagreements and tension, they start from a place of respect.



I also didn’t know the Supreme Court made the judicial branch as powerful as the others. They can review actions from every branch and decide whether something is constitutional. That’s a huge responsibility, and honestly, I never thought about how much power that gives them.


By the end of the video, I kept coming back to that idea of footprints. Every justice leaves something behind, something that makes change a little harder — or maybe a little clearer. It made me see the Court not as a distant institution, but as a place where people make choices that echo for generations.

___________________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Microsoft copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a video of the supreme court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasize my facts and opinions, I then asked copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related recourses, as well as appropriate images and captions.

___________________________________________

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRoXYRsaeo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post 2#

I didn’t expect a 20‑minute video on the U.S. Supreme Court to leave me thinking about footprints, but that’s exactly what happened. I knew ...